Otis Music Camper Dakarai Williams (DKOMX) and Vinson Muhammad (ALäZ) have collaborated to bring a new song, created while collaborating during Otis Redding Foundation programs. Below is the release for the song.
For Immediate Release
“A Whole ‘Nother World” is the newest release from Macon, GA based artists, ALäZ and DKOMX inspired by the New York Times Best Seller “Between The World and Me” by Ta-Nehisi Coates. The single drops on all streaming platforms on April 3, 2020. ALäZ and DKOMX first met as coach and camper, respectively, through the Otis Music Camp in Macon, GA, an annual music songwriter’s camp hosted by the Otis Redding Foundation in honor of soul music legend, Otis Redding.
Even after the 2-week summer camp, they developed a mentor/mentee relationship and were introduced to Coates’ landmark writing by Dr. Kevin B. Williams (DKOMX’s Father). Both, having family roots at HBCU’s Morehouse College and Florida A&M University were inspired by the work of two Howard University alumni in the author himself, but also by Kamilah Forbes, the executive producer of the Apollo Theatre. Forbes created and directed a stage adaptation with the original score by Jason Moran that debuted in New York on April 2018 at the Apollo Theater and was later brought to Atlanta Symphony Hall October 2019 by The Collective Culture including Ronald B. Williams, Jason Carter, and Erin White, also HBCU alum. To date, the production has featured some of the most influential names in art and culture including Common, Angela Basset, Black Thought, March Bamuthi Joesph, Omar J. Dorsey, Pauletta Washington, E. Roger Mitchel, Lynn Whitfield, T.I., Killer Mike, Maimouna Youssef aka MuMu Fresh and others.
A Whole ‘Nother World represents a multi-generational conversation that deals with three essential themes:
- Fathers teaching their sons about the history and present condition of the world they are living in,
- Millennials taking leadership to effect change connecting the wisdom of the elders and energy of the youth, and
- The youth of today’s Generation Z realizing the need for awareness in a society that directly affects them and their role and responsibility to make a difference regardless of their age.
ALäZ and DKOMX features include:
- Black Man Lab and Podcast ( Andrew and Walter Young YMCA Atlanta, GA)
- The Gathering Spot (Ta-Nehisi Coates Between the World and Me Celebration of the Apollo Theater Atlanta Production Premiere Brunch hosted by The Collective Culture) Atlanta, GA
- High Museum of Art (Atlanta Symphony Hall After Show reception of the Apollo Theater Production Atlanta Premiere hosted by The Collective Culture– Atlanta, GA
- The Coollab Project (Historic Douglass Theatre Macon, GA and Global Jam Session Santa Ana, CA)
- Atlanta Funk Fest 2019 (Scarface, Mystikal, SWV, Teddy Riley, Keith Sweat) — Wolf Creek Amphitheater Atlanta, GA
- Sweet Auburn Music Fest — Atlanta, GA
- Otis Redding 78th Birthday Celebration– Macon, GA
- Davis Bozeman Law Annual Black History Program at the Auburn Avenue Research Library- Atlanta, GA
- IMAN Grassroots Power Hour at The Ke’Nekt Cooperative- Atlanta, GA
During this time that families are together, ALäZ and DKOMX would like to use this as a catalyst for a global conversation to find solutions for challenges we face in our communities. Please take a moment to support their efforts in whatever ways you can. Suggested options are:
- Listen to and share the song
- Play the song on your platform or add it to a playlist
- Write a brief statement (1-3 sentences) to say why you feel a song like this is important.
- Create a reaction video while listening to or talking about the song
- Invite ALäZ and DKOMX on your platform to perform and/or discuss the significance of this song
Social media and booking of artists
Booking email. Vinson.email@example.com
Booking email. firstname.lastname@example.org